At least eight people were killed Saturday when a barrage of rockets struck densely populated parts of Kabul, the latest big attack in a wave of violence sweeping the Afghan capital.
The salvo slammed into various parts of central and north Kabul – including in and around the heavily fortified Green Zone that houses embassies and international firms – just before 9:00 a.m., AFP reported
The Iranian Embassy said on Twitter that its main building had been hit by rocket fragments after one landed on the premises. No one in the compound, located just outside the Green Zone, was wounded.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh said the attack was “an example of American proxy war” in Afghanistan and held the United States directly responsible for it, according to IRNA.
Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian blamed the Taliban, saying "terrorists" had fired a total of 23 rockets.
Arian eight people were killed and 31 others were wounded. Kabul police spokesman Ferdaws Faramarz confirmed the same tolls and details.
The Taliban denied responsibility, saying they "do not blindly fire on public places" and that the rocket attack “has nothing to do with” them.
At least one rocket landed in an office inside the Green Zone, but did not explode.
Several buildings sustained damage to walls and windows, including at the large Sana Medical Complex.
Recent major attacks in Kabul, including two horrific assaults on educational institutions that killed nearly 50 people, follow a familiar pattern in the aftermath, with the Taliban denying any involvement while the Afghan government pins the blame on them or their proxies.
The Taliban are under pressure not to attack urban areas, having pledged not to do so under the terms of a US withdrawal deal signed in February.
The Daesh terror group claimed the two attacks on educational centers, but Kabul said the Taliban's ultraviolent Haqqani network was responsible.