0349 GMT October 25, 2020
Over 70 million tons of goods have been loaded and unloaded in Iranian trade ports since the beginning of the current calendar year (which started on March 20), said a deputy roads and urban development minister.
Speaking on the sidelines of his one-day visit to Shahid Rajaee Port in the southern Iranian province of Hormuzgan, Mohammad Rastad, who is also the CEO of the Ports and Maritime Organization (PMO), put the total cargo handling capacity of the country’s trade ports at 246 million tons, Tasnim News Agency reported.
He added cargo handling activities are being conducted round the clock and incessantly in all Iranian trade ports.
The deputy minister noted that the activities include loading export cargoes and unloading import consignments.
He said no situation has led to a disruption in the activities of the country’s ports and piers.
Likewise, Rastad noted, activities are being conducted ceaselessly in the ports of Hormuzgan Province, particularly in Shahid Rajaee Port.
He put cargo and container handling at Shahid Rajaee Port since March 20 at over 36 million tons and 670,000 twenty-foot equivalent units (TEUs) respectively.
The trends of maritime transport and trade are being continued actively in all Iranian ports despite the unjust and illegal US sanctions imposed on the country as well as the enemies’ threats and bids to disrupt the Iran’s port activities, the PMO CEO added.
On Friday, the PMO said in a statement that all Iranian ports are operating with no disruption despite the Wednesday cyberattack against their electronic infrastructure.
According to the PMO statement, “all the missions of the organization are underway with no disruption”, Press TV reported.
It said technical measures have also been taken by the PMO’s IT experts so as to reinforce the online services and prevent any pause in the loading and unloading operations.
The statement also denied the allegations that the recent cyberattack was a successful one, describing such claims as part of a psychological warfare against the Islamic Republic.
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran’s Ministry of Information and Communications Technology had dismissed reports that the country’s computer systems were target of a massive and coordinated cyberattack, saying the attack only targeted systems in two government agencies.
Rastad further said development projects and activities in Iranian ports are also progressing satisfactorily and mostly according to schedule, adding thanks to new investments the capacities of the Iranian ports are being expanded.
“Part of such investments have been made by the PMO to improve the country’s port infrastructure and a major portion by private sector to create superstructures and purchase port equipment.”
Rastad expressed hope that a significant number of the projects would be completed by March 2021.